1980-1984 (North America)
- With A/C and manual trans: 2,236 - 2,276 pounds
1984.5-1985 (North America)
- With A/C and manual trans: 2,276 pounds
1986-1987 (North America)
- With A/C and manual trans: 2,254 pounds
- With A/C and manual trans: 2,330 pounds
For comparison purposes:
Original Euro, no frills GTI hatchback weighed 1850 lbs.
USA no frills GTI hatchback weighed 2011 lbs.
- 8V: 120 pounds
- 16V: 160 pounds
- Front bucket seat: 35 pounds
- Front sport bucket with height adjust: 37 pounds
- Rear seat: ?
- North American aluminum bumper (solid brackets): 22 pounds
- North American bumper over-rider: 5 pounds
- Clipper kit front bumper: 41 pounds
- Clipper kit rear bumper: 46 pounds
- Clipper kit side skirts (pair): 5.5 pounds
- Clipper kit fender flares (set): 5 pounds
- Convertible top & frame: ?
- Shell, as depicted here: 950 pounds
Full Tank of Fuel
- 10.6 gallons: 67 pounds
- 13.8 gallons: 87 pounds
The following information is what Volkswagen stipulated when these cars were new (i.e. before their warranties ran out). Tow at your own risk.
Flat-towing Your Cabriolet
- Transmission must be in neutral
- Do not exceed:
- Manual transmission: 50mph, or exceed 50 miles in towing distance
- Auto transmission: 30mph, or exceed 30 miles in towing distance
- Tow bars may damage Cabriolets with the Clipper kit
- Be wary of the locking steering column (key may have to be turned to "on" position to prevent steering wheel from locking)
- If towing long-distance or if the limits must be exceeded, use a tow dolly or flatbed, especially if the car has an automatic transmission. Failure to do so could result in damage to the automatic transmission.
Towing Your Cabriolet on a Tow Dolly
- Front wheels must be on the dolly (do not tow the car backwards!)
- Transmission should be in neutral
Towing with Your Cabriolet
Volkswagen recommends that you not use your Cabriolet as a tow vehicle. If you must use your Cabriolet as a tow vehicle, Volkwagen stipulates the following:
- Do not exceed 1000 pounds in trailer weight.
- Do not exceed 165 pounds in tongue weight.
- Using a trailer with trailer brakes is advised for safety reasons.